'The provider must promote the good health of children attending the setting.' (EYFS, 2012)
At Footsteps Day Nursery we take Health & Hygiene very seriously. Here are the measures that we take to ensure that all areas of the Nursery are kept clean & germ free so that we can try to minimise the spread of any infections.
- Toilets sinks, door handles, light switches & flushes are sterilised twice a day – at lunchtime & at the end of the day
- All bins are emptied twice a day
- Tables are sterilised before & after snack, after messy activities & before & after lunch times
- Nappy mat & area sterilised after each change
- Children wash their hands before & after eating, after going to the toilet & after messy play
- Staff wear protective gloves and aprons when changing nappies & administering first aid.
- Children are encouraged not to share any of their food with others and uneaten food is thrown away
- Staff wash their hands before & after eating, before preparing food, after using the toilet, after breaks have been taken & any messy activity
- During the ‘end of day’ and ‘end of the week’ clean everything is sterilised using a diluted bleach solution
- Staff keep hair tied back & do not wear nail polish
- All staff attend Food Hygiene courses, these are updated every 3 years.
- Managers & supervisors have attended a Health & Safety course; these are updated every 3 years.
- Fridge temperatures are checked daily
- Windows are washed monthly indoors & out
- All soft furnishings are cleaned monthly
- All toys, furniture and resources are sterilized on a rolling three weekly basis.
- Meals are provided by Terry, our chef who is based at the Hove branch.
- We have been awarded 5 out of 5 stars in the food hygiene rating system and have been awarded Healthy Choice Award for our food & cooking practices.
- Terry, our chef, has been awarded the Healthy Choice Gold Standard Award for her menus, cooking practice and commitment to the environment and reducing food waste. She has also been awarded 5 out of 5 stars for food hygiene.
- We have signs to notify parents when we have had any infectious illnesses or head lice.
- The children have visits from the dentist & St Johns Ambulance
- All cot sheets and blankets are washed weekly
We have an enhanced cleanin and sterelising schedule in place due to the Covid 19 pandemic.
Updated for Covid 19