The Prevent Duty
Footsteps Day Nursery has regard to the Prevent Duty 2015. This duty works alongside other safeguarding policy & practice as required by Working Together To Safeguard Children (DfE 2015)
The Prevent Duty aims to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism and to keep children safe from the associated dangers.
- Risk Assessment – Our staff follow nursery policy closely. We follow the Key Person policy to build a relationship with the families in our setting and to keep open lines of communication. If staff have concerns for the welfare of a child then our normal safeguarding policy would be followed. MASH would be contacted on 01273 290400 / email@example.com Staff can also contact the Prevent coordinator, Partnership Community Safety Team Nahida Shaikh on 01273 290584 / 07717303292 / firstname.lastname@example.org Staff can also contact the dedicated police community support officer Thomas Morvantoone on the no emergency police number 101 extension 550543 / Thomas.email@example.com
- Working in partnership – Our policy & practice meets the requirements & recommendations of the Brighton & Hove Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB)
- Staff training – we will support our staff to feel confident to recognize the signs of people being at risk of being recruited by terrorists or extremist groups through accessing advice via the LSCB. National NDNA advice suggests that staff are alert to
- Changes in family behavior
- Changes in children's behavior, e.g. aggression towards others
- Comments made by a child which may cause concern e.g. commenting on what their Mummy or Daddy has said, talking about fighting for the cause etc.
- Comments made by family members e.g. about certain faiths, beliefs, cultures
- Any other signs that family members may be showing extremism
- All staff have accessed online training around Channel General Awareness (Prevent)
- Staff have a shared understanding of what British Values are and how we promote & support these at the setting. We have a separate Promoting British Values Policy
- IT policies – internet safety will be maintained at all times, alongside our Social Networking policy
- We can contact the Prevent Education Officer Will Robey on 97592100699 / firstname.lastname@example.org