'The Key person must help ensure that every child's learning & care is tailored to meet their individual needs. The key person must seek to engage & support parents and/or carers in guiding their child's development at home.' (EYFS 2012)
At Footsteps we fully embrace the idea that a key person for each child helps that child to feel safe, secure & valued. At the start of your child's journey into nursery she/he will be assigned a key person. This key person can be changed if your child naturally gravitates towards another adult.
The key person will;
- Actively build positive relationships with clear lines of communication between the children & their family.
- Observe & plan for children's likes, interests & individual needs.
- The key person will meet the needs of each child and respond sensitively to their feelings, behaviour & ideas.
- Ensure that children's physical needs are met - Develop a secure & trusting relationship by learning key words in a child's first language or acknowledge their sounds & gestures.
- Update & share the child's progress folder with parents. Actively seek & value their written or verbal contribution.
- Support a child through transition periods when changing rooms or moving onto school.
- Develop trust to enable children's independence.
- Be a point of contact for the family if they have any concerns or complaints.
The key person will spend time with your child each week to come up with next steps in their development & feed these into weekly planning. They will collate these & other focus observations into an online learning journal, which can be viewed at any time. Your child’s Tapestry journal will be added to by the key person, you will get a notification email when a new observation has been uploaded and you can access immediately. You can add to the process by uploading your own photo’s & observations at home. You will get a termly snap shot assessment of how your child is progressing.
The nursery provides a number of occasions each year for you to speak both formally & informally to your child’s key person a formal parent consultation day in the spring & autumn terms, a parent’s BBQ in the summer term and a Christmas party. You can view your child’s online learning journal at any time. You can also make an appointment at any time to discuss any aspect of nursery life. Just speak to the supervisor and they will put something in the diary.
Siblings will always, where possible, be given the same key person as they get to know the family so well. The key person is based in your child's room with other members of staff who also get to know your child well, so that staff holidays & staff sickness don't distress your child.
The key person is simply there to ensure your child is well cared for in a safe environment & is reaching their potential through observations & assessment.
Key person boards are located around the nursery for you to view.