At Footsteps we are committed to reducing our carbon footprint & teaching the children in our care to do the same. We aim to do this in a number of ways.
- Recycling centre. We now, with the help of the children, recycle paper, card & plastic bottles. We have large boxes for this located on the first floor near the children’s drawers. These boxes are collected by ‘paper round’ a local recycling company.
- We refill or recycle all of our print cartridges.
- We reuse & use ‘bags for life’ when doing the nursery shopping.
- We buy, where possible, concentrated products.
- We reuse boxes in our junk modelling sessions.
- Paper is reused for the children’s drawings & mark making.
- Nursery shopping is all delivered without carrier bags
- All cardboard, glass, tin cans, paper, that cannot be reused around the nursery is collected by an outside company
- Nappies are collected by a waste company. If any parent wishes to use reusable nappies the nursery is happy to accommodate this.
- We do not over order on food products and any food left is eaten by staff covering lunches.
- Water taps are monitored and sinks are fitted with a lever turn tap to make it easier to switch the tap on & off.
- All lights & electrical items are switched off when not in use
- We are working towards reducing water & energy use and will comply with all relevant legal requirements
- Our environmental champions are Jerri miles and Hannah Moss. Jerri has attended a relevant workshop & we have achieved a blue level certificate (http://www.southeastbusinesscarbonhub.com)
- We have been awarded the Modeshift Stars Silver accreditation, which looks at active, sustainable, safer travel to nursery. We are now working towards the Gold star.